- Mineki Saito, MD., Ph.D. Professor
Main Areas and Department Research Interests
- Molecular pathogenesis and prevention of Human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 (HTLV-1) associated diseases.
- Novel therapeutic approach for HTLV-1 associated diseases using animal models.
- Electron microscopic study of antibiotic-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.
- Mechanisms of action of antiseptic and disinfectants on Staphylococcus aureus.
- Experimental studies of larva migrans.
- Epidemiological studies on parasitic infections in Japan.
- Behavior analysis of influenza virus using novel imaging method.
- Protective role of T cell-mediated immunity against influenza virus infection.
Microbiology Course at the Kawasaki Medical School starts from the first semester of the second year. The curriculum is comprised of lectures (bacteriology, mycology, parasitology and virology) followed by practical work in smaller groups. The course introduces the student to medically important microbes and the host-microbe interaction, with an emphasis on infectious diseases, their pathogenesis, diagnosis and epidemiological, public health and even ethical aspects.
- Saito M. Neuroimmunological aspects of human T cell leukemia virus type 1-associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis. J Neurovirol. in press 2013.
- Saito M, Tanaka R, Arishima S, Matsuzaki T, Ishihara S, Tokashiki T, Ohya Y, Takashima H, Umehara F, Izumo S, Tanaka Y. Increased expression of OX40 is associated with progressive disease in patients with HTLV-1-associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis. Retrovirology. 10:51, 2013.
- Saito M, Bangham CR. Immunopathogenesis of human T-cell leukemia virus type-1-associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis: recent perspectives. Leuk Res Treatment. 259045, 2012.
- Ushirogawa H, Ohuchi M. Novel antiviral activity of neuraminidase inhibitors against an avian influenza a virus. Virol J. 8:411, 2011.
- Tokunaga H, Ushirogawa H, Ohuchi M. The pandemic (H1N1) 2009 influenza virus is resistant to mannose-binding lectin. Virol J. 8:50, 2011.
- Adachi T, Tanaka R, Kodama A, Saito M, Takahashi Y, Ansari AA, Tanaka Y. Identification of an unique CXCR4 epitope whose ligation inhibits infection by both CXCR4 and CCR5 tropic human immunodeficiency type-I viruses. Retrovirology. 8:84, 2011.
- Tanaka R, Takahashi Y, Kodama A, Saito M, Ansari AA, Tanaka Y. Suppression of CCR5-tropic HIV type 1 infection by OX40 stimulation via enhanced production of β-chemokines. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 26(10):1147-54, 2010.
- Kodama A, Tanaka R, Zhang LF, Adachi T, Saito M, Ansari AA, Tanaka Y. Impairment of in vitro generation of monocyte-derived human dendritic cells by inactivated human immunodeficiency virus-1: Involvement of type I interferon produced from plasmacytoid dendritc cells. Hum Immunol. 71(6):541-50, 2010.
- Saito K, Saito M, Taniura N, Okuwa T, Ohara Y. Activation of the PI3K-Akt pathway by human T cell leukemia virus type 1 (HTLV-1) oncoprotein Tax increases Bcl3 expression, which is associated with enhanced growth of HTLV-1-infected T cells. Virology. 403(2):173-80, 2010.